Spinach and Fetta Filo Triangles with Chilli Tomato Sauce
- 200g South Cape Fetta Crumble
- 250g spinach leaves
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 sheets filo pastry
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½-1 teaspoon minced chilli
- 2 cups tomato passata (Italian cooking sauce)
These pockets of filo pastry filled with spinach, eggs, spring onions, garlic, chilli and tomatoes make for a delicious cheesy snack
1. Wash spinach and cook in a large frying pan, stirring until wilted.
2. Drain, cool, squeeze out excess moisture and chop.
3. Combine with fetta, spring onions, eggs and season with salt and pepper.
4. Working quickly, brush one sheet of filo pastry with butter, layer with a second sheet and brush with butter again. Cut lengthwise into three strips.
5. Place a tablespoon of spinach mixture on the bottom corner of one strip and fold over to enclose the filling, making a triangle shape.
6. Continue folding up the length of the pastry strip to form a triangular parcel and place on a baking tray.
7. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 18 triangles, covering the filo pastry with a damp towel to stop it from drying out.
8. Brush triangles with butter, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake at 200°C for 10-15 minutes until puffed and golden.
9. Meanwhile, heat oil and cook garlic and chilli until softened. Add tomato passata and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Season to taste. Serve with filo triangles.