Mini Croque Monsieurs
- 1/3 cup cream
- 200g South Cape Australian Edam, grated
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 baguette
- 150g shaved gypsy or Virginian ham
- Paprika, for sprinkling
- Gherkins or cornichons to serve
There’s something about eating a ham and cheese sandwich that just feels good. This one is given a kick with gherkins, paprika, lovely gypsy ham and a generous handful of South Cape Australian Edam cheese. Delicious!
1. Combine cream, South Cape Australian Edam cheese, mustard and egg yolk together and season with salt and pepper.
2. Cut baguette into an even number of slices 1cm thick (16 or 24 depending on length of bread).
3. Arrange on an oven tray lined with baking paper and toast under a hot grill on one side until lightly golden.
4. Turn over and top with ham, cheese mixture and sprinkle with paprika.
5. Grill for 5 minutes until cheese has melted and is golden on top.
6. Sandwich two slices together, cheese side up and serve immediately topped with a gherkin.