Havarti, Ham and Asparagus Tart
- 100g South Cape Havarti, Gouda or Edam cheese, grated
- 1 bunch young asparagus, trimmed
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 4 slices shaved ham
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Freshly ground black pepper
The creamy, mellow flavours of South Cape Havarti, Gouda or Edam cheese make a splendid base for this luxurious tart. Bring one along to your next picnic or brunch and watch those slices fly off the plate. Yum!
1. Simmer asparagus in ½ cup water for 5 minutes until just tender, drain.
2. Lay puff pastry sheets on top of each other onto a baking tray and lightly press together.
3. Using a sharp knife, score a 1cm border around the edges.
4. Top with ham and half the South Cape Havarti.
5. Arrange the asparagus across the pastry, alternating tops and tails.
6. Sprinkle with remaining havarti, thyme sprigs and pepper.
7. Bake at 220°C for 20-25 minutes until puffed and golden.
8. If base of pastry needs a little browning, place on base of oven towards the end of the cooking time to crisp up.