Goat’s Cheese and Quince Tartlets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 25g butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 100g South Cape Quince or Fig paste
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 120g South Cape Goat’s Cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup cream
- snipped chives, for sprinkling
Try these delicate little tartlets made with French-style ingredients like buttery puff pastry, brown onions and fig paste. The South Cape Goat’s Cheese adds a creaminess and depth that’s just divine. Pop one in your mouth and let it melt!
1. Heat oil and butter and sauté onions over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until translucent.
2. Add South Cape Quince Paste and stir over low heat until melted.
3. Stir in vinegar and season to taste.
4. Cut 9 x 8cm circles from each pastry sheet (or alternatively, cut into 9 squares) and press into 18 non-stick patty pans.
5. Divide half the onion mixture between pastry cases and top with South Cape Goat’s Cheese.
6. Whisk eggs and cream together and pour evenly into pastry cases.
7. Bake at 200°C for 15 minutes until golden brown.
8. Dollop with remaining onion mixture and serve sprinkled with chives.