Cheddar, Chicken and Pumpkin Risotto
- 250g Tasty Cheddar, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken fillets, diced
- 75g butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ½ butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 1.5 litres hot chicken stock, simmering
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Who could resist a big bowl of creamy, cheesey risotto? This recipe takes the traditional risotto ingredient of chicken, and teams with butternut pumpkins for an extra flavour dimension.
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan and cook chicken until browned.
2. Add 50g butter to pan and sauté onion until softened.
3. Add rice and cook, stirring for one minute or until the rice has turned an opaque white colour.
4. Add pumpkin, chicken and a cup of simmering stock and cook, uncovered, stirring until all the liquid has been absorbed. Adding hot stock is important to maintain the cooking temperature and continue the cooking process.
5. Continue adding stock in this manner, stirring regularly, until the rice is cooked to ‘al dente’ - this will take 15-20 minutes. If more liquid is required during this process add extra chicken stock or boiling water.
6. Stir in basil, half the cheese and remaining butter, and season to taste.