Asparagus and Edam Puff Pastries
- 200g South Cape Edam, grated
- 16 long asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1-2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Sesame or poppy seeds, for sprinkling
Savoury asparagus, wholegrain mustard and creamy Edam cheese come together here for one delectable dish that’s ready to enjoy as an entrée or snack in less than half an hour.
1.Cook asparagus spears in a fry pan with ½ cup water until tender, drain and refresh under cold water. Coat with olive oil.
2. Cut each pastry sheet into four squares and then cut each square in half into a triangle.
3. Spread each triangle with mustard, top with grated South Cape Edam.
4. Place an asparagus spear at the wide edge of each triangle and roll up to enclose the asparagus (which will stick out at either end), pressing gently to secure.
5. Place on a baking tray, brush with egg and sprinkle with seeds.
6. Bake at 200°C for 12-15 minutes until puffed and golden brown and serve hot.